We fill & send shoeboxes for the Operation Christmas Child Shoe Box Ministry each year in November.
Deer Creek Church has participated for several years now in the ministry of Samaritan’s Purse – Operation Christmas Child. We fill provided boxes with school supplies, toiletries, small toys, & other needed items for less fortunate children of other countries.
In 2013, our first year to be a part of this ministry at Deer Creek Church, we filled only 19 boxes. In 2014, we filled 62 boxes. In 2015, we filled 76 boxes. In 2016, we went over our goal of 100 boxes to filled 116 boxes. PTL! This year, on November 19, 2017, Deer Creek Church filled 88 shoeboxes for Operation Christmas Child Shoebox Ministry. Praise God!
For future reference, the below mentioned information will be left here to refer to next year when Deer Creek Church again fills shoeboxes for the Samaritan’s Purse Operation Christmas Child Ministry. Every November this is done. **In 2017 there were some new suggestions and restrictions of items that are allowed to be sent. Go to the Samaritan’s Purse website (mentioned below) for details. 🙂
*** Below are suggestions of what can be collected at your home throughout the year in preparation for this annual event:***
- TOYS: Include items that children will immediately embrace such as: small cars, balls, dolls, stuffed animals, kazoos, harmonicas, yo-yos, jump ropes, toys that light up or make noise (with extra batteries), etc.
- SCHOOL SUPPLIES: such as: pens, pencils & sharpeners, crayons or markers, notebooks, writing pads or paper, solar calculators, coloring & picture books, etc.
- NON-LIQUID HYGIENE ITEMS: Such as toothbrush, mild bar soap (in a plastic bag), comb, washcloth, etc.
- OTHER: T-shirts, socks, ball caps, sunglasses, hair clips, toy jewelry, watches, flashlights (with extra batteries).
- A PERSONAL NOTE: in a separate envelope you may enclose a note to the child & even a photo of yourself or your family. (If you include your name & address, the child may be able to write back.)
What NOT to bring: Candy, toothpaste, used or damaged items, war-related items such as toy guns, knives, or military figures, seeds, chocolate or food, seeds, fruit rolls or other fruit snacks, drink mixes (powdered or liquid), liquids or lotions, medications or vitamins, breakable items such as snow globes or glass containers, or aerosol cans.***
Please go to samaritanspurse.org/occ for more UP-TO-DATE and COMPLETE information regarding OPERATION CHRISTMAS CHILD and appropriate additional gift suggestions.